Saturday, March 1, 2008

About Me

Hello and Welcome:

My name is Randall Parker. If you just happened to find my blog by accident, you may wish to know a little bit about me. Well, here goes:

I was born at an early age and raised in Southern California. My parents were kind enough to enroll me in preschool when I was two, and they sprung for a parochial education for me through the eighth grade. Thanks to their efforts, I received a great education. By my own choosing, I attended public high school.

In high school, I was a lousy student my Freshman year, but I turned things around pretty well over the next three years. My major involvements included Junior Achievement and Future Business Leaders of America. I achieved good things in both organizations, most notably placing third in the nation in JA's VP/Finance Officer of the Year Competition in 1983. I also won two school Achievement Awards, as I was chosen the school's Top Business Student and Top Work Experience Student.

I attended El Camino College, where I was involved in Student Government and Phi Beta Lambda (college version of FBLA). Major achievements here included being elected Student Body President of the School, being chosen California State President of PBL, and placing fourth in the nation in Accounting I for PBL in 1985. I also represented ECC on the Los Angeles Collegiate Council for two years.

From about 1980 onward, I was involved in the Entertainment Industry. I got my start as a mobile disc jockey, and at various times also did live radio, syndicated radio, and nightclub DJ work. Eventually, I owned one of the top mobile DJ companies in the South Bay. I also began building nightclubs, selling pro audio, lighting, and video equipment, ran a record pool, and did some consulting work on the side. In 1988, I moved to Bakersfield.

Once arriving in Bakersfield, I eventually started a new mobile DJ company, continued consulting nightclubs while branching into consulting work for other industries, and sold pro audio and lighting equipment nationwide via mail order and two retail stores. By 1997, I'd had enough of the Entertainment business, and I decided to try something different.

In 1998, I obtained licenses to sell insurance and securities. Working in the financial services field was new to me, but I'd always had an affinity for money, so it felt natural. In short order, I rose to a leadership position in the company for which I worked, and I found that I was making good money on a part-time basis. This allowed me to go back to school to finish the degrees that I had started so long before.

I attended Cal-State University, Bakersfield, where I obtained two BSBA degrees. One in Finance (emphasis: Financial Planning) with an Economics minor, and the other in Sports Management with a Statistics minor. The Business School at CSUB chose me as the Top Sports Management Graduate for 2004. I also completed the Four-Year Honors Program and graduated Magna cum Laude.

The next year, I enrolled in the University of Southern California's MBA program, where I completed an MBA in General Management in two years. During my time at USC, the football program won a National Championship and only lost one game. Go Trojans, Fight On!

In 2003, one of my many business consulting clients hired me to travel to the Philippines in order to negotiate a government contract on their behalf. Now, two and one-half years and a few clients later, I live in the Philippines. I am now President of DJ Network, Inc., which operates a call center that markets various financial products to clients in the United States.

While I admit that this description is quite abridged, I hope that it serves as a worthy introduction. Many with whom I have worked and whom I've trained over the past ten years have offered much support to my endeavors, and have encouraged me to continue sharing the information and techniques that I have learned, regarding business and financial planning. This blog is one such method by which I hope to do just that.

Please continue to visit, as I will be making many postings and sharing much information here over the coming weeks, months, years, and if God permits, decades. I welcome you, and I hope that you will bookmark my site, patronize my sponsors, and sign-up for my RSS Feeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment